Registering for School

If you are new to Durham Public Schools and need to register your child for school below is a list of what documents you will need.  You can find the school you are assigned to based on your address using this online interactive map
  •  Proof of Residency
    • Current lease; deed; property tax record; mortgage statement or three current consecutive months of receipts
    • If the residence is not in your name, you will need to obtain an Affidavit of Residence from the Office of Student Assignment. Please call 919-560-2059 to verify required documents needed.
  • Withdrawal form from previous school
  • Report card/transcripts
  • Proof of Immunizations within 30 days of starting school
  • Custody Papers (if the person registering the student is not the parent, he/she must present a copy of the appropriate court order to establish legal guardianship)
  • Birth Certificate (only required for kindergarten registration)
  • Social Security Card (not required, but important for tracking student records)
To save time, please download and fill out the application packet (English, Spanish) and bring it and the above documents to the assigned school to complete the process.
Students moving within the Durham Public Schools to a new attendance zone need to complete the withdrawal form at the former school and take it, proof of residency and parent/guardian picture identification to the new school.

If additional assistance is needed, please contact the Office of Student Assignment at 919-560-2059.